Background

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Yours, Mine and Ours- The Potato Salad Version

Since we've been married Jeremiah and I have enjoyed combining the interests/traditions of both of our families.  This New Year's Day we had sauerkraut and sausages because that was what his family always had on New Years growing up.  Meanwhile Jeremiah has learned to enjoy some of the foods my family likes.

When I was growing up my grandmother, "Muddie," made potato salad for all of our family bar-b-ques and fish frys.  I loved it, and I remember many times when I licked the bowl clean.  My junior year of college Muddie was very sick and was confined to her bed most of the time.  When she asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I knew right away what she could make me.  I asked her to write down all of the recipes for the foods she made that I loved...  You know, the stuff that isn't really written down on a recipe card or is maybe scratched on a scrap piece of paper somewhere that no one will ever find.  That Christmas she gave me a box of recipes with handwritten cards that included all of my favorites... potato salad, pie filling, taco meat, stew, meatloaf, chicken and dumplins....  It was a greatest hits version of her cooking repertoire.  Over the years I've been so thankful I asked for those recipes in her handwriting.  She passed away in 2006, but I still cook her recipes and think of her often.  One of the most used cards in that box is the potato salad recipe.

I've taken Muddie's place as the potato salad supplier at family get-togethers ever since.

Muddie's Potato Salad

2 or 3 baking potatoes
3-4 sweet pickles
3-4 Best Maid dill pickles
1 large onion (I like purple)
2-3 ribs of celery (I leave these out)
5-6 boiled eggs

Dressing
1 c Miracle Whip
2-3 T mustard
1 T dill pickle juice
1 T sweet pickle juice

Boil the potatoes until you can puncture them with a fork (about 30 minutes).    Boil the eggs and set aside.  Peel the potatoes and cut into bit sized pieces.  Mix together dressing and pour over potatoes.  Dice pickles, onion, and eggs and add to potato mixture.  Salt and pepper to taste.



When I first met Jeremiah he talked about "Bastian Potato Salad" and how wonderful it was because his mom made it with vinegar.  That sounded pretty good to me, so I decided to ask his mom for the recipe.  She shared it with me.  I excitedly made it trying to impress my boyfriend with all the effort I'd gone to to make something from home.  I followed the recipe his mom gave me and added the vinegar thinking that was what made the real difference for Jeremiah.  I noticed that his mom mentioned in the recipe that you could a little dill relish or onions but she usually didn't add the onions.  At the time it was hard for me to imagine potato salad without the crunch of pickles and onions.  I thought to myself, what harm would it do to add a few onions and pickles?  I mean the real difference is the vinegar, right?  Boy was I wrong.  I don't think Jeremiah recognized it as a recipe from home.  He asked me right away what all the crunchy stuff was.  He was sweet about it, but I don't think he liked it too much at all!

I learned a lesson that day that has come in handy in marital life.  When you are trying to do something nice for someone, don't selfishly add your own little "crunch" so you will enjoy it too. :)  I felt very bad about the incident, but didn't have the courage to try Bastian Potato Salad again for fear of failure a second time.  I mean who wants to hear their husband say, "Sorry babe, you don't make it like mom?"  Yep, me neither.

Well, fast forward to the present.  My precious husband is turning 30 on Sunday.  We are having a family get together to celebrate his birthday.  I had since lost the recipe my sweet mother-in-law shared with me, so I asked her send it to me again.  (Thanks Twila!)  I decided to follow the recipe to a tee.  I successfully made it last night, and received approval today :)

Bastian Potato Salad


Boil potatoes in skins, and lightly salted water, til fork soft.  Drain and cool til can be handled, then peel off peelings.  While still warm, coat diced potatoes with dressing.  Dressing is Hellman's mayo with mustard and cider vinegar - about 3 Tbsp each mustard and vinegar to each cup of mayo - depends on how many potatoes used.  I usually add a few stalks of celery, diced, and some dill pickle relish - or just diced dill pickles - and salt and pepper.  Last add diced, boiled eggs.  Save a boiled egg or two to slice on top for decoration.  After mixing thoroughly, lay saved egg slices across top, then sprinkle with  paprika for looks. The "men" all think it gets better with age - so for Sun noon would want to make it no later than Fri morn.



It will be interesting to see how we combine the potato salad tradition.  Right now, I just make both kinds!  I guess our kids will be potato salad experts!

No comments:

Post a Comment