Background

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vegan Outing on Magnolia

It's been a long time since I got to catch up with my friend Leah.  Since she is also a teacher, we decided to take advantage of our Spring Break and "do lunch."  She suggested going to the Spiral Diner on Magnolia in Fort Worth earlier today.  Our friend Chris has suggested it, but I knew it was a vegetarian place.  Needless to say this meat and potatoes girl was a bit hesitant.  The outside of the restaurant was super cute just like most of the little places on Magnolia.

 
On their website Spiral Diner states, "A vegan diet is the healthiest and most humane choice for animals, people, and the planet."  I pretty much think that's a lot of bull (no pun intended), but I love food and was up for an adventure!
 

I decided to go all out and order something truly "vegetarian" instead of taking the easy way out and sipping the safe broccoli and cheese soup.  To truly put the restaurant to the test I ordered the soy bean burger.  I would consider myself an expert on beef burgers, and I was at least 22 before I knew there was any other kind of burger besides beef.  I've never even had a soy burger.  I can count the number of times I've had a turkey burger on one hand.  I've always been a big supporter of the Texas Cattle Raisers Association.


Leah and I munched on some very yummy hummus before getting our meal.  Finally this arrived.  At first I was skeptical, but then very impressed.  It tasted great!  I ate the whole thing and my potato salad side.


 Leah enjoyed her meal, too.  She got the grilled portobello quesadillas.  It was a fun day with you, Leah.  Thanks for expanding my food horizons!

Spiral Diner, I will be back when I need a meat-free meal... or one of those cakes I saw in the window, but probably not with my red meat loving husband.


1 comment: