Background

Thursday, March 22, 2012

King Ranch Chicken Mac and Cheese

I like to cook something on Sundays that we can divide into Tupperware containers and eat for our lunches throughout the week.  Usually it is something at least quasi-healthy like roast chicken, stew, lasagna, etc.  But this week I was really excited to try a recipe I heard about from my friend and co-teacher, Shanna.  She found it in Southern Living magazine, which I now want a subscription to!  I've heard other friends say that the recipes in the back of their magazine are great... good food, no crazy, something-this-east-Texas-girl-has-never-heard-of ingredients, and relatively easy to make.  Their king ranch chicken macaroni and cheese recipe was not an exception. 

16 oz. package of pasta
2 T butter
1 med onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel)
1 (8 oz.) package Velveeta, cubed (This is really why I made it.  Any macaroni recipe with Velveeta is definitely going to rock!)
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c sour cream
1 t chili powder
1/2 t ground cumin
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare pasta according to the directions on box. 


 In a large skillet saute onion, bell pepper and chicken with butter.

 Add other ingredients and stir together.
 Add drained pasta.
 Stir!  Put in a casserole dish and bake in oven for 25 minutes.
So Shanna said in her blog that this should be a "one pot dish" meaning that it should only take one skillet to make it.  Umm, I guess I'm still not a great cook because I can never manage that.  I was too ashamed to take a picture of the kitchen sink when I was done.  It was overflowing with dishes!  But it was worth it.  The macaroni was delicious.  I especially know it's good when Jeremiah has two helpings.  :)

1 comment: